Who we are
The National Mine Action Center
The National Mine Action Center is the operational body that executes the policies of the National Steering Committee for Mine Action and is the focal point for coordinating all mine action activities on the ground.
The district level activities are executed by the two Regional Mine Action Offices (RMAOs) based in Jaffna and Vavuniya. The RMAOs carry out their functions on behalf of the Government Agents, facilitate the monthly meeting of the DSCMAs, assist in the preparation of district work plans, compile mine/explosive remnants of war (ERW) clearance and survey task dossiers issued to the demining organizations, and liaise with the Sri Lanka Army (SLA) regional command to obtain security authorization for the proposed clearance tasks. Most importantly the RMAOs carry out quality management of humanitarian demining, including survey, clearance and MRE activities. The Information Management System for Mine Action (IMSMA) data bases are also updated by the RMAOs.
The National Mine Action Center is responsible for the following key components of the Sri Lanka Mine Action programme.
- Management component
- Operations component for planning and tasking
- Mine risk education and victim assistance components.
- Quality management (QM) component
- Information management system and technology component.
- Administration component responsible for personnel, logistics, and finance
- Public information component. The National Mine Action Center is responsible for the following
- Liaising with government authorities, humanitarian and development agencies to determine the priorities for mine action, as well as plans to address these priorities
- Establishing an information management system, collecting and analyzing data, and managing and disseminating mine action information.
- Preparing a national mine action strategic plan (vision, mission, goals and objectives) with the input of all stakeholders which is in-line with national recovery, reconstruction and development plans.
- Developing an annual work plan to support the strategic plan
- Setting criteria for mine action priorities
- Accrediting mine action operators, tasking and monitoring mine action activities.
- Drafting and adopting national mine action standards
- Acting as the secretariat for the NSCMA